LNVH Newsletter September 2017
31 Aug 2017
LNVH Newsletter September 2017Newsletter September 2017
New LNVH colleague
At the start of the academic year, we are welcoming a new LNVH colleague. She is happy to introduce herself: 'Irma Scheer, pleased to meet you! After working as a graphic designer for 10 years and being a full time mother for a year and a half, I felt a need for 'new'. New surroundings, new people, a new field of work, a new profession perhaps? I began my search with the humble thought that it should be possible to check at least one of the aforementioned 'boxes' and it didn't take long before it led me to the LNVH. A wonderful foundation whose fantastic purpose I, as a woman, naturally feel strongly connected to. Since late August no less than all my boxes are checked and you will find me at the LNVH Bureau where I'll be taking over Lidwien and Fernie's secretary and administrative tasks. I am excited to get to work and I wish you all a great start of the academic year!' Irma can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 030 600 1221.
Call for nominations
As you know, the LNVH has a nomination right for various prizes and positions. We are currently requesting suggestions for candidates for the Spinoza Prizes, the Heineken Prizes and the Distinguished Lorentz Fellowship (DLF). It takes time to put together a dossier, so please send us your suggestions (consisting of a recent CV of your proposed candidate and a brief substantiation of your nomination) as soon as possible via email@example.com. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Distinguished Women Scientists Fund
The deadline for applying for the Distinguished Women Scientists Fund is a few weeks away. This year as well, LNVH is inviting female postdocs to apply for the Distinguished Women Scientists Fund. This travel grant (max. 1500 euros) is intended for female postdocs, up to 3 years after promotion and residing and working in the Netherlands, who would like to travel abroad within the framework of their research. Terms and conditions, as well as an application form for this year's call can be found here. Four laureates (alpha, beta, gamma, medical) will be selected. Applications can be submitted until October 1, 2017 via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save the date: Affiliates Meeting and presentation 2017 Monitor Women Professors on December 12
The LNVH affiliates meeting will be held on December 12, 2017. This annual meeting, exclusive for affiliates, is the place to meet other affiliates and to talk to the LNVH board members. Like last year, the affiliates meeting will be followed by the presentation of the Monitor Women Professors. Keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation and further information.
UvA Diversity Officer
The University of Amsterdam has chosen Anne de Graaf to be its first diversity officer. De Graaf will be responsible for initiating a university-wide policy of diversity together with the different faculties. This appointment is a result of a special report on diversity published in the fall of 2016. More information
Atria: stories of women professors
In the Westerdijk year, Atria Institute on gender equality and women's history is launching a project on women professors. Five retired professors with different backgrounds will be asked to reflect on their career and being a (women) professor. These interviews will be included in Atria's archives. The public can contribute to this project via a donation to the Aletta Jacobs Fonds. Check Atria's website [in Dutch] for more information.
STEM Gender Equality Congress
The STEM Gender Equality Congress (SGEC) took place on June 8-9 in Berlin. The conference was attended by leading researchers, policy makers, equality staff, the private sector, academic staff, government representatives and NGOs, the congress offers a perfect opportunity to network, learn and collaborate to achieve greater gender equality in STEM. Curiours about presentations and lectures? Do check SGEC's website!
Pieter Duisenberg has been appointed as the new President of the Association of Universities in the Netherlands (VSNU). As of 1 October 2017, he will succeed Karl Dittrich who has led the VSNU since 2012 and who will now retire. More information
NWO Veni grants
The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) has awarded a Veni grant worth up to 250,000 euros to 154 researchers who have recently obtained their doctorate. The Veni grant provides highly promising young scientists with the opportunity to further elaborate their own ideas during a period of three years. The general award rate of this round was 13.7% - with an award rate amongst women of 12.9%. An overview of the laureates can be found here.
- Gemma Blok has been appointed as professor of Modern History at the Open Universiteit.
- Bianca Buurman is benoemd tot hoogleraar Acute Ouderenzorg aan de Faculteit der Geneeskunde van de Universiteit van Amsterdam (AMC-UvA).
- Neelke Doorn has been appointed Antoni van Leeuwenhoek professor in Ethics of Water Engineering at Delft University of Technology.
- Susanne la Fleur has been appointed professor of Neurobiology of Energy Metabolism at the University of Amsterdam's Faculty of Medicine (AMC-UvA).
- Evelyn Kroesbergen has been appointed Professor of Orthopedagogics in particular Learning problems at the Radboud University Faculty of Social Sciences.
- Sybille Lammes has been appointed professor of New Media and Digital Culture at Leiden University.
- Eveline van Leeuwen has been appointed as chair of the Urban Economics Group at Wageningen University & Research.
- Zofia Lukszo has been appointed full professor in Smart Energy Systems at TU Delft.
- Maria van den Muijsenbergh has been appointed to the special chair in Health Disparities and Person-Centred Integrated Primary Care at Radboud University/Radboud university medical center.
- Sabine Oertelt-Prigione has been appointed Professor of Gender in Primary and Transmural Care at Radboud University/the Radboud university medical center.
- Angelique de Rijk has been appointed as Professor in Work and Health, specialising in Re-integration into Work (Dept Social Medicine) at Maastricht University.
- Ineke Sluiter, Professor of Greek Language and Literature at Leiden University, has been appointed Corresponding Fellow by the British Academy.
Attending and participating
On Monday 4 September 2017 the Dutch universities will open the academic year. VSNU has made an overview of the events on this day. Do check themes, speakers and programmes at VSNU's website [in Dutch].
Professor Joanna Wysocka has been awarded the Valkhof Chair 2016 by the Executive Board of Radboud university medical center. Professor Joanna Wysocka is a principal investigator at the Institute for Stem Cell Biology & Regenerative Medicine at Stanford University, California, USA, a world top institute of fundamental and translational stem cell research. Professor Wysocka will deliver this year’s Valkhof Lecture, entitled: Making faces: development, evolution and disease of the human neural crest. You are warmly invited to the official gathering and Valkhof Lecture on Wednesday 6 September 2017.
What is leadership? Why does leadership matter in academia? When and why is it ‘good’ or ‘bad’? Is leadership a natural talent or can leaders be created? How do leadership styles differ between people and contexts? Do gender differences and roles affect leadership? And which stand does Radboud University take regarding leadership? To get an answer on these questions, Radboud University’s Female Full Professors Network and the Halkes Women Faculty Network organise a joint symposium on Leadership in Academia on Thursday September 14. The symposium aims to bring together (wo)men of all academic levels, from PhD students to full professors, in order to participate in a critical discussion and share their ideas and experiences on leadership in academia. More information and registration
On November 2nd & 3rd, 2017 the world of culture, philosophy, science, technology and storytelling will collide. Brave New World is an annual conference for professionals coming from science, industry, government and the creative industry, who want to go beyond their own field of interest. People who want to know what the future holds in store and how this will affect our life and work. Brave New World's speakers discuss what social impact new technologies could have on human life, before the innovations are introduced in society. More information
Vacancies and calls
Maastricht University: Dean at the School of Business and Economics
Maastricht University: Programmamanager Diversiteit
Radboud University Nijmegen: Professor of Civil Law
University of Twente: Associate or Assistant Professor Geodata Science
University of Twente: Tenure Track position in the field of Radar Remote Sensing
University of Twente: Assistant / Associate Professor Purchasing and Supply Management
NWO: Athena Prize
See the vacancies via Academic Transfer
- Join the debate via Twitter: @LNVH_NL.
- The LNVH would appreciate it if you would notify associate professors (UHDs) that they can become affiliates.
- New appointments of women as professors will be posted on the site, as well as any inaugural lectures we are aware of. Please inform the LNVH.
- LNVH affiliates have the possibility of making a voluntary donation to the LNVH. See: https://www.lnvh.nl/site/Events/Donatie/.
- If you change the e-mail address in your profile, do so too at the 'account' tab as you receive the newsletter via the e-mail address stated at that tab.
- If you have lost your log-on data, contact the LNVH via email@example.com.
- The LNVH is regularly asked to draw the attention of affiliated professors and UHDs to vacancies. These are posted on the site and in the newsletter.
- New Academic Transfer vacancies also appear daily on the LNVH website. Please monitor the website and report any relevant vacancies.
- LNVH believes that relevant information about organisations, processes, services, training, events and vacancies should be made available to its affiliates for their convenience. As such, LNVH does not favour any of the initiatives mentioned in its online communication.